A couple years ago, I was tagged by the best chick at my wedding, the devine mamazilla, the wonderful Lindy Bunny, to list my idiosyncrasies.
I did then … but it’s time to repost, and expand.
G-bunny even sent me a handy-dandy definition to go along with everything to help set parameters:
id·i·o·syn·cra·sy n. pl. id·i·o·syn·cra·sies
- A structural or behavioral characteristic peculiar to an individual or group.
- A physiological or temperamental peculiarity.
- An unusual individual reaction to food or a drug.
So here we go:
- I’m a mean, cruel rotten bastard. Except I’m also a really wonderful kind and generous man. Except when I don’t want to be, which is most of the time. Except that I’m working really hard to have a more positive outlook on life and stuff.
- I like cheese. Cheese doesn’t like me.
- I was 39 years old before I ever owned my own motorized vehicle. Since I got it, I’ve hardly ridden my bike at all, except that I’m racing cyclocross now, and despite the fact that I really suck at it, I’m loving it.
- I really like the cheese from Liberty Heights Fresh. It still doesn’t like me.
- I can dance. I don’t like to dance, but I can. Too bad it takes me 4-6 cocktails to get over myself enough to actually let myself dance, because God forbid that all of those dumbfucks out there whom I don’t know and whose opinion I really don’t give a rat’s ass about might judge me.
- I like pizza. Pizza doesn’t like me, either.
- I fall for women who aren’t available. Want me to get hooked on you? Start dating someone else.
- I wear socks and flip-flops (well, slides, actually) in public, on purpose. Short white socks. And Bermuda shorts that come below my knees. And I shave my legs. I’m a cyclist. It’s what we do.
- I once had a phone number that spelled GAY-MONK, while living in a house that was painted lavender, on a street that was named “Younglove” … talk about playing games with the psyche!
- I like beer and vodka, but not at the same time. Hmmm … maybe that’s not so idiosyncratic after all.
- Cabernet? Yes, please!
- I have a tendency to piss off people I care about, when I least want to do so. That’s an idiosyncracy I’d love to ditch.
- I’m a firm believer in retail therapy. Unfortunately, I don’t have the bank account to get really therapeutic.
- And yet, I still have 4 computers, 2 televisions, 2 pairs of snowshoes, 4 pairs of skis, and 5 bicycles.
- I’m a Democrat, and I love Utah. Okay, not all of it, but I like thinking that my vote might actually effect some change, rather than just being another “yes” man like I was in NorCal.
- Most of the time, when I buy shoes, I buy two pairs of the same shoe, but in different colorways.
- I hadn’t bought a new pair of pants in at least 2 years … until last month.
- I last bought underwear in an airport. Okay, granted it was Brook Brothers, which happens to have a shop in Port Columbus International, but still … who buys underwear in an airport?
- I eat when I’m not hungry, and don’t eat when I am hungry.
- I’m finally learning how to ski powder, but still fall over in the lift line.
- Like I said, I’m a cyclist. That’s idiosyncratic enough for most people.
So now, faithful readers … all 3 of you … TAG! You’re it. I expect to see your posts within the week … or not.