Saxo Bank’s Jens Voigt shrugged off the pain of yet another crash at the Tour de France.
On stage 16 Tuesday, Voigt was hurtling down the descent of the Col de Peyresourde, the first of four mountain passes, when he suffered a puncture and crashed at top speed.
The German managed to avoid a repeat of the horrific injuries he suffered during last year’s race when he landed on his face while rocketing along on a descent.
After waving away the help of race assistants in the broom wagon, Voigt battled on to finish the stage with the gruppetto, the group of sprinters and non-climbers who club together in a bid to beat the time cut-off.
“I’m doing 70 kilometers an hour on the first descent when my front tire explodes,” explained Voigt. “Before I hit the asphalt I actually manage to think that this is going to hurt. Both knees, elbows, hands, shoulders and the entire left side of my body were severely hurt.
“My ribs are hurting but hey, broken ribs are overrated anyway. Fortunately, I didn’t land on my face this time and I’m still alive.
Jens writes a little bit about his day in his blog on Bicycling.com:
I came over the top [of the Peyresourde] only 20 seconds down on the front group, but about 2 kilometers into the descent my front tire blew and I thought, “Oh God,” and I went down. Just one year after my horrible crash, and there I was tumbling on another mountain descent. And let me tell you, about the only place that feels good right now is my right ankle. The rest of me is all road rash. Plus I’ve got five stitches in my left elbow and then there are some ribs that are not in the right place! I may have to get x-rays, but I hate x-rays (the radiation), and plus, if I’ve got a fractured rib, what can anyone do about it?
And that’s the way I was today when I was lying on the ground. I just thought, “Oh no, I’m going to Paris this year, I’m going to Paris. There’s just no way you are going to get me out of this race for the second year in a row!”
Ooof. This man is tough! And here are some of the ways …
- Jens Voigt only rides 53×11 when he needs a granny gear after climbing 10 HC mountains.
- Jens Voigt will never have a heart attack. Jens Voigt’s heart isn’t stupid enough to attack him.
- Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas. Chuck Norris wears Jens Voigt pajamas.
- There is no such thing as global warming. Jens Voigt just got cold and turned the sun up.
- Jens Voigt once challenged @lancearmstrong to a “who has more testicles” contest. Jens Voigt won by 9.
- Jens Voigt is not hung like a horse. A horse is hung like Jens Voigt.
- Jens Voigt doesn’t get road rash. The road gets Jens rash.
- Jens Voigt doesn’t have a shadow; he attacked & dropped it so often, it retired to do ice dancing commentary for French TV.
And from @RevBigRing? “Jens Voigt doesn’t ride rollers, he just rides and the Earth rolls under him.”